Re: How to update Windows DNS server with Linux DHCP client hostname?

Try setting DHCP_HOSTNAME in the interface config file.

For example, in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

# Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:02:A5:F4:91:5E
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=mikkel

I've tried that, and it doesn't seem to work.  I've tried

DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhost

and

DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain

and

DHCP_HOSTNAME="myhost.mydomain"

Our IT department is a "Windows only" department.  I'm wondering if
the DNS server picks up the (Windows) PC hostnames from an SMB
advertisement of some sort.

Is there some way to just advertise my hostname, or do I have to
actually export some filesystem via Samba?

--wpd