Re: How to update Windows DNS server with Linux DHCP client hostname?

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 12:59 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> The DHCP and DNS servers are both windows servers locked in a closet
> someplace.  I would like to figure out what option I need to set on my
> FC6 boxes to enable dynamic updating of the DNS records on those
> servers.  It works from the windows hosts (managed by our IT
> department), but I can't figure out why it doesn't work from my Linux
> hosts (managed by me).

It may well be that they configure their server to only insert
pre-approved PC addresses into the name server.  If you get IP addresses
quite different from the rest, that's one clue in that direction.

Do the other PCs always get the same addresses?  It could be that DHCP
doesn't update DNS, it could be that the DNS entries are static, and
their DHCP server is configured to dole out pre-arranged addresses.

You really need to speak to your network admin.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.