Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 13:14:11 +0100,
  Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > I do however think that we should still strongly encourage people who
> > send complaints (at least specific ones) to the list, to use bugzilla so
> > that they get logged and the chances of someone being able to address the
> > problem seeing it are greatly increased.
>
> While I agree with this in principle,
> in fact the bugzilla program is very badly designed,
> as compared eg with the Microsoft equivalent.
>
> Also, in my experience (mainly with xorg)
> one is more likely to get a response on a mailing list or newsgroup.

I think Fedora is quite a bit different than a project supporting a single
app. I expect that bug reports on a mailing list for an app are more
likely to get noticed by an appropiate developer. Their lists are more
likely to be of interest to their developers and individual developers
are likely to be familiar with more of the project. For Fedora there
are a large number of package maintainers who probably only really work
with a few packages and for which the fedora lists mostly discuss stuff
they aren't interested in and the lists are high volume. In this environment
the odds are going to be significantly lower that the developer you need
to reach is going to see a message posted to a generic fedora list.
It can still be useful to ask some questions on the list first to get
some idea about which package to file the bug under and to get advice about
what information would be useful to have in the bug report.

As far as bugzilla goes, I find it pretty easy to use. (The one issue I
have is that the drop down menus are so large that it takes a while to
grab the page over a dial up connection.) The real question is it working
for the developers. If bugs are getting filed under the wrong component
or without enough diagnostic information, then it may need to be changed
to help reporters provide better data.