Re: Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 00:03:03 +0200,
  Matej Cepl <mcepl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2007-05-17, 17:08 GMT, Ric Moore wrote:
> > It could happen that there are users that have no business
> > messing with anything and we'd all be properly grateful that
> > they don't. <g> But a "should" puts the onus of active
> > participation on them and then they do. Which results in
> > a batch of emails to the list to remedy a blown up system.
> > THEN, after much grief for everyone, they leave to freshly
> > install Ubuntu or SuSe and claim it is SO much better, as it "works",
> > out of the box. Sure it does, they haven't screwed with it yet.
>
> I still think they SHOULD help, but note that I have put there
> money as an option how to help. As one of my American friends
> said ``With the invention of money, phrase `Thank you' lost its
> meaning.'' ;-)

I don't exactly agree with that. There are plenty of ways people can use
their time to help other people. I have no problem with people using
Fedora, but not contributing back to it. I certainly don't contribute
back to every piece of software I use. I do try to help with a few
that I am more deeply involved with or need changes made to them.

I do however think that we should still strongly encourage people who
send complaints (at least specific ones) to the list, to use bugzilla so that
they get logged and the chances of someone being able to address the problem
seeing it are greatly increased.