Re: System lockup problem when adding more memory - FC5

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Cokey wrote:
>I have an older dual processor server that has been happily running FC5
>since it was released.  It currently has 4G of memory and has the
>capacity for 8G using 1G sticks.   Recently I was given 2 1G sticks and
>tried to upgrade the system.  The system recognizes the memory and
>boots, but then locks up with:
>
>exec of initj(/sbin/init) failed: Exec format error.
>
>Removing the memory clears the problem.  I have also tried some 512
>sticks and they also cause the same problem.  Essentially anything over
>4G regardless of the how that's arrived at will cause the lockup.
>
>Looking for any hints/ideas.

There is, in the kernel's .config file, an entry to switch it to handle
more than 4GB of memory.  I believe you'll have to set that option and
rebuild/reinstall the kernel.

In fairly recent kernels, say the last year or so, that option line is:

# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set

Use a make (x/menu)config to turn that on.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)