System lockup problem when adding more memory - FC5

I have an older dual processor server that has been happily running FC5 since it was released. It currently has 4G of memory and has the capacity for 8G using 1G sticks. Recently I was given 2 1G sticks and tried to upgrade the system. The system recognizes the memory and boots, but then locks up with:

exec of initj(/sbin/init) failed: Exec format error. Removing the memory clears the problem. I have also tried some 512 sticks and they also cause the same problem. Essentially anything over 4G regardless of the how that's arrived at will cause the lockup.

Looking for any hints/ideas.

Tnx

Cokey

believed to be clean.