Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

This is partially my fault. What I am reporting is not an upstream
problem. Mozilla is perfectly capable of doing what I want it to do if I
change the config option indicated. It is a problem with how firefox is
distributed by the rpm created I assume by fedora. I am asking that
fedora repackage a existing rpm. I am completely updated. A new firefox
came last week (1.5.0.10) but I can't tell if this correction was made.

Fedora generally doesnt deviate from upstream defaults. So what configuration upstream ships with indeed does matter here.

Errr... except where it suits their fancy - like omitting java bindings, multimedia plugins, and configuring sendmail not to receive mail.

It is not a question of fancy. Nobody patches for "fancy".

1) Not sure which java bindings you are referring to but anyone is free to maintain additional packages in Fedora.

2) You are probably talking about proprietary multimedia codecs which are omitted due to licensing reasons. Usually doesnt require changing any configuration upstream since they are modular components in gstreamer cleanly split out into -good -bad and -ugly.

3) Security. Daemons connecting to external ports by default is a bad idea. Well documented reasons. Configuration changes are easier to manage compared to other kind of patches too.

Rahul