Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On 01/03/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Oh? And how is one to know that? Where is that mentioned in the
> documentation?

Many places in the wiki, installation guide, announcements, discussions
in this list etc.

I apologize then. My ignorance is at fault.

> If I choose to install KDE, or foobar for that matter, can I be
> certain that 2 disks is enough? Or will I find myself stuck in the
> middle of an install, after I wiped the harddrive of a working XP
> install, and have no way of downloading more disks?

As I already indicated, if you select non-default packages you might
have to use additional disks

There is a default? In every installation the user is prompted to
choose his software. I suppose that just clicking "ok" without reading
or changing anything is default. I'm not a default kind of guy :)

>> 2) Fedora 7 Test versions already provide single Live CD's with the
>> ability to install to hard disk. The general release would have it too
>
> Excellent. I was unaware of that. That will improve the situation
> dramatically.

I already told you in a previous post on the same thread. Your reply on
that indicated that you hadnt read it.

I'm rereading the posts, I don't see where that was mentioned.

>> 3) Single CD's are not useful for the folks with limited bandwidth
>> connnections. They can download alternative spins like the "Prime" and
>> "Everything" versions.
>
> And multiple-disk downloads are not useful for those with limited disk
> to waste, time to spare, and/or patience. I term those people "end
> users".

Sure. Like I said in my earlier post, having a single CD does not fit
the requirements of many end users which is why you should not argue
that only a single CD be provided.  Package size as well as numbers are
constantly increasing in the Fedora repositories. A single CD is bound
to become less and less useful over time as a result. Fedora 7 will
provide multiple variations to fit into the different needs better.

As it should be.

> Rahul, if I could help I would. I'm not a CS major, just a silly
> Mechanical Engineering student. Many of the usability problems that I
> encounter with Linux, not specifically Fedora, is that all computer
> users are assumed to be software engineers. We're not. Sorry.

You do not need to be a CS major to participate. You can help in
documentation, bug reports, triaging and so on very easily. Take a look
at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpWanted. Arguing on this list
changes nothing.

I'm familiar with the page. I have filed bugs in the past, I'll get
myself back into the habit. Usability bugs, especially, I can comment
on.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/client.html