Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On 01 Mar 2007 17:14:55 +0100, Ingemar Nilsson <init@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Furthermore, I have to burn those disks, and I can do one disk in five
> minutes with no babysitting, but burning five disks require that I
> babysit the machine for half an hour.

> Fedora has to compete with a one-disk install of Windows XP, that can be
> installed in an hour with no babysitting. Fedora installs require one to
> switch disk three or four times.

You obviously never heard about the DVD version. One disc to burn, one disc
to install from and no switching. With it, a Fedora install becomes much
more pleasing than a Windows XP install, which asks some questions, then
processes for a few minutes, then asks some more questions, followed by
some processing, and then more questions, etc, etc.

Regards
Ingemar

I actually do have he DVD tucked away at home, and I installed this
system from DVD. However, DVD burners are not as common on the most
common hardware that I see in the dorms at my university, but CD
birners are very common. And the DVD is over 3 GB in size, about 5
times the size of Kubuntu.

I want to remake the point that I'm not argueing for my own good: I
use and love Fedora. I'm simply stating that requiring 5 disks to
install is a turnoff for those not familiar with Fedora or Linux. No
amount of arguing will change that fact. And there is no need to
convice me that 5 disks is fine: I'm voicing the opinion of those whom
I've installed for, not my own opinion.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_a_cellphone.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/gpl.html