Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Oh? And how is one to know that? Where is that mentioned in the documentation?

Many places in the wiki, installation guide, announcements, discussions in this list etc.

If I choose to install KDE, or foobar for that matter, can I be
certain that 2 disks is enough? Or will I find myself stuck in the
middle of an install, after I wiped the harddrive of a working XP
install, and have no way of downloading more disks?

As I already indicated, if you select non-default packages you might have to use additional disks

2) Fedora 7 Test versions already provide single Live CD's with the
ability to install to hard disk. The general release would have it too

Excellent. I was unaware of that. That will improve the situation dramatically.

I already told you in a previous post on the same thread. Your reply on that indicated that you hadnt read it.

3) Single CD's are not useful for the folks with limited bandwidth
connnections. They can download alternative spins like the "Prime" and
"Everything" versions.

And multiple-disk downloads are not useful for those with limited disk
to waste, time to spare, and/or patience. I term those people "end
users".

Sure. Like I said in my earlier post, having a single CD does not fit the requirements of many end users which is why you should not argue that only a single CD be provided. Package size as well as numbers are constantly increasing in the Fedora repositories. A single CD is bound to become less and less useful over time as a result. Fedora 7 will provide multiple variations to fit into the different needs better.

Rahul, if I could help I would. I'm not a CS major, just a silly
Mechanical Engineering student. Many of the usability problems that I
encounter with Linux, not specifically Fedora, is that all computer
users are assumed to be software engineers. We're not. Sorry.

You do not need to be a CS major to participate. You can help in documentation, bug reports, triaging and so on very easily. Take a look at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpWanted. Arguing on this list changes nothing.

Rahul