Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 21:18 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 24/02/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I agree that one distro should not be both server AND desktop. Even M$
> > > has a desktop version of Windows (Vista) and a server version
> > > (Server). Well, it might be more like trashcan version and spambot
> > > version, but you get the point.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > Strange complaint, since Fedora will have a Desktop and a Server spin
> > - or are you implying that the diff. Windows "versions" are more than
> > spins?
> >

> That wasn't a complaint. Rather, I see the wisdom in 'spins' and think
> that it should have been done a long time ago. I'm also rather hoping
> that the powers that be will get it down to THREE DISKS maximum. I've
> already had to install Kubuntu on peoples machines because 5 disks is
> way to much to have a potential convert download.

Dotan, why would three disks be "enough"? You "had to install Kubuntu
because 5 disks..." ...if you're installing, why would they gripe? How
would they even know how many disks is enough, or too much, if they
can't install their own machines? Isn't free "free" enough for these
friends?? C'mon, you gotta do better than that. They'll either dnload it
to the CD's, or dnload 1 CD and still dnload the rest, piece by piece,
so it's a wash.

Every time someone proselytizes Kubuntu on this list I keep seeing the
scene where Jack Nicholson as the Joker, is on a parade float while
Prince plays "You've Got The Look." Money is floating down out of the
sky, pizza and beer is free. Everyone is deliriously ecstatic. I'm
waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You tell me what glorious advances they have contributed to the
community, as RedHat has. Zilch, nada. Just a bunch of press, is all.
I'll dance with who brung me, even if they piss me off from time to
time.  :) Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net