Re: videolan

FreshRPMS sometimes replaces system libraries with newer versions.
This is done to provide new features but it can cause conflicts.  One
recent example was that libgpod was updated there.  Core was providing
libgpod-0.3.0 and freshrpms updated that to libgpod-0.4.0 not noticing
that they were not ABI/API compatible.  That's causing an
incompatibility with Core and Extras.

Core applications for me are the ones needed to run a server.
libgpod is not the case. If this breaks, no one is going to jump off the bridge.
Every repo will have problems along the time. Livna had a lot recently.
This is unavoidable. The point is: are the these problems corrected fast?

>>Are you saying that livna is supported by RedHat?

Livna is definitely NOT supported by RedHat or Fedora.  The things
provided by Livna are things that are not allowed in Fedora for
various reasons (licensing, patents, etc.)

What I really like in linux is that there is a real person behind everything.

ATrpms - Axel Thimm
Dries - Dries Verachter
Dag - Dag Wieërs
Freshrpms -  Matthias Saoul
KDERedHat - Rex Dieter
Livna - ????

I have a profound admiration for the work of all the people I listed above.
Sometimes, I would have done things differently, but I would never FUD
any repo because of that.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ