Re: Dial-up ISP config howto [URGENT, sort of...]

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Hello everybody!!
>
> I have time until Monday evening to become a dial-up ISP. Zero experience.
> Hardware is set, the server with a couple of serial boards, and six modems
> visible as /dev/ttyM0 ... /dev/ttyM5, alive and working (meaning that I can
> successfully query each modem etc.). Modems are standard USR56K serial
> external, so I assume there will be no problems on that side. Six phone lines
> are dedicated, attached and ready.
>
> Now the question. I need to set up the system to answer incoming calls,
> automatically log in the user and give him access to the Internet (web, mail,
> etc...). Bearing in mind that I need to have it working by Monday evening, I
> have no time to read through modem-howto and pppd-howto, but need just the
> shortest set of instructions about what files to configure, what daemons to
> have running, and anything else that is important. Would be very grateful for
> any sample config files or something similar.
>
> Aside from that, once I have the thing in operation, I will have more time to
> read, learn and understand the docs and how it all works. So would like to
> know if there is any relevant howto that requires reading (aside from modem-
> and ppp-howto which are already on the todo list).
>
> What I already know on the subject is that I should have mgetty running to
> answer incoming calls, log in the user and start pppd (I guess) which then
> takes over. But that is just about all my knowledge regarding dial-up, and
> mgetty and pppd require some sort of initial configuring, I guess. However, I
> know enough about tcp/ip and networking in general, so am not a total newbie.
>
> So, anyone with experience?
>
> :-)
> Marko

Start with the mgetty docs - specifically setting up PPP logins.
This is what mgetty is designed for. You normally use it for cli
logins, but it does PPP logins as well. You might also find
http://www.chuvakin.org/ispdoc/ISP-Setup-RedHat-4.html#ss4.12 handy.

Mikkel