Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

On 09/02/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 09 February 2007 10:06, you wrote:

> No, bitching won't help. But complaining in an organized fashion to
> the developers will.

Dotan, google around pwc and pwcx drivers.  The pwcx driver was built by a
developer who managed to negotiate with the hardware supplier, subject to a
NDA.  Eventually the NDA timed out, but he still refused to make public the
contents of the NDA, saying that if we want hardware suppliers to cooperate
we need their goodwill.  Personally, I think he was right.  The linux
community hassled him so much that he gave up.  The kernel developers took
the hook out of the kernel because they said it was not used generically.
They did it without warning to him.  He had cause to feel aggrieved.  I can
personally vouch for the fact that it was a good driver - better than
anything I'm seeing here, and this was about 3 years ago.  The current pwc
driver is lousy.

You hit the real problem when you commented that no-one knows how many linux
users there are, never mind how many linux/webcam users there are.  Somehow
we have to get around this.  I suspect that there are as many linux users as
mac users, but they are countable, so get some consideration.

Anne

Thanks, Anne. I'm certain that with a bit of effort I could get the
webcam working as although I still consider myself a noob, I can find
way way around google and I'm not the first to encounter this problem.
If I do get stuck trying to configure the cam, then I will ask here.

But I'm not at that stage yet. The webcam is not critical to me as it
Just Works on my Kubuntu desktop. So I'm handling this situation a bit
differently. I'm contacting the manufacturer, and I'm involving hit
(it?) in the problem. I want them to know that there are distro that
the cam Just Works on, and there are those that don't. But most
importantly, I want them to understand that linux users exist and wish
to use/purchase their products.

I might live in a dream world where I'm convinced that I can make a
difference. But I'm young and I can still be proven wrong.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/608/adam_ant.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/electromagnet.html