Re: Webcam driver

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 08 February 2007 12:12, Keith Powell wrote:

I'm investigating my aMSN video problems.

At the moment, I have the MXhaard driver installed which I downloaded
and installed as a tarball.

Unless there is a 'make uninstall' option in the Makefile, you will have to run it down, file by file and nuke it yourself. About the only way I

I have found that Makefiles with an "uninstall" target do not
necessarily actually find every file.

[snip]

This is where the utility 'checkinstall' is worth its weight in bottled beer or sliced bread, experienced folks can use it to make an rpm that

I have tried "checkinstall" exactly three times, and had exactly
three failures.

can then be installed with the usual rpm command, or uninstalled with the usual rpm -e command. But it currently has a bit of a bug and requires you edit out of its include list, a rather large group of system files it wants to include. A fix for that is expected in about a week. In the

I was getting segmentation violations and core dumps...

meantime, run it with this syntax: "checkinstall -R --inspect" which will

...when I used the option you mention.

give you a chance to clean up its act.

Humm, that in fact, IF you do the --inspect editing (that's vi when you're doing that) correctly, you may be able to generate an rpm, install it, and then remove it. But that's not a particularly well tested at my place function either, so I just toss it out as an idea to be explored.

Not my experience.

YMMV

Mike
Oppose globalization and other One World Governments like the UN.
You have found the bank of Larn.