Re: Webcam driver

On Thursday 08 February 2007 12:12, Keith Powell wrote:
>I'm investigating my aMSN video problems.
>
>At the moment, I have the MXhaard driver installed which I downloaded
> and installed as a tarball.

Unless there is a 'make uninstall' option in the Makefile, you will have
to run it down, file by file and nuke it yourself.  About the only way I
know of is to do another make install with your terminal set for enough
history to save it all, and then scroll back up the history and rm -f
anything it installed.  Even that may not be bulletproof if it overwrote
some file needed by something else.

This is where the utility 'checkinstall' is worth its weight in bottled
beer or sliced bread, experienced folks can use it to make an rpm that
can then be installed with the usual rpm command, or uninstalled with the
usual rpm -e command.  But it currently has a bit of a bug and requires
you edit out of its include list, a rather large group of system files it
wants to include.  A fix for that is expected in about a week.  In the
meantime, run it with this syntax: "checkinstall -R --inspect" which will
give you a chance to clean up its act.

Humm, that in fact, IF you do the --inspect editing (that's vi when you're
doing that) correctly, you may be able to generate an rpm, install it,
and then remove it.  But that's not a particularly well tested at my
place function either, so I just toss it out as an idea to be explored.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)