Re: Webcam driver

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 08 February 2007 12:12, Keith Powell wrote:
>>
>>> I'm investigating my aMSN video problems.
>>>
>>> At the moment, I have the MXhaard driver installed which I downloaded
>>> and installed as a tarball.
>>

>> Unless there is a 'make uninstall' option in the Makefile, you will
>> have to run it down, file by file and nuke it yourself.  About the
>> only way I
>
> I have found that Makefiles with an "uninstall" target do not
> necessarily actually find every file.
>
> [snip]
>
>> This is where the utility 'checkinstall' is worth its weight in
>> bottled beer or sliced bread, experienced folks can use it to make an
>> rpm that
>
> I have tried "checkinstall" exactly three times, and had exactly
> three failures.
>
>> can then be installed with the usual rpm command, or uninstalled with
>> the usual rpm -e command.  But it currently has a bit of a bug and
>> requires you edit out of its include list, a rather large group of
>> system files it wants to include.  A fix for that is expected in about
>> a week.  In the
>
> I was getting segmentation violations and core dumps...
>
>> meantime, run it with this syntax: "checkinstall -R --inspect" which will
>
> ...when I used the option you mention.
>
>> give you a chance to clean up its act.
>>
>> Humm, that in fact, IF you do the --inspect editing (that's vi when
>> you're doing that) correctly, you may be able to generate an rpm,
>> install it, and then remove it.  But that's not a particularly well
>> tested at my place function either, so I just toss it out as an idea
>> to be explored.
>
> Not my experience.
>
> YMMV

I always try to  build a package the 'real way' but I have. Not recently,
years ago actually, used checkinstall when I was in a hurry.

Building your own packages is not that difficult. Here are some very clear,
simple directions straight from Fedora's Wiki.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

- --

  David