Re: Playing audio CDs no longer works.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 11:02 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Try it in the other drive.  Digital playing doesn't require the sound-card
>> cable.  I'm not sure why, but I've had this problem with both audio-CDs and
>> DVDs.  Sometimes one drive has worked, then sometimes the other.  I suspect
>> that config files are being affected by updates, but I could be way out.
>>
> Well what you are suggesting is against all my experience. But I trieds
> it and got the following results:
> 1, The audio CD in the first drive was not found (it has the sound
> cable).
> 2. The audio CD in the second drive was found and the track were shown
> and began playing. But no sound which I owuld expect since there is no
> sound cable.
>
> Would others agree that you can sound from a CD without a sound cable?

Most newer drives support sending the digital audio over the IDE
interface, and can be played by any CD player that supports digital
audio. The digital sound data is about like playing a .wav file.
Depending on your sound card, you may be able to get much better
sound playing CD's this way. The DAC in your sound system is
probably better then the one in the CD-ROM drive.

Mikkel