Re: Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Tim wrote:
Scott van Looy:
Default is not to cache files. Change:
keepcache=0
in /etc/yum.conf
Mikkel L. Ellertson:
This controls keeping of installed files. but doesn't YUM keep the
files it was not able to install even with keepcache=0?
The parameter is called keepcache not keepinstalled, and that seems to
be how it behaves, despite what it says about it the yum.conf man page:

 keepcache
   Either ¡1¢ or ¡0¢. Determines whether or not yum keeps the cache
   of  headers  and packages after succesful installation.  Default
   is ¢1¢ (keep files)

I've observed it to dump files its cached for the next run, so they need
re-downloading, even if they weren't installed.

NB:  Although the default for YUM may be "1" (keep files), the default
preset in the yum.conf file is "0" (don't keep files).

I have had just the opposite experience - the files are still in
/var/cache/yum/{repo}/packages. At times, I have used rpm to install
most of the packages.

I wish YUM would install the packages that do not have conflicts,
instead of aborting on the first error...

Yum is a strange beast, best left to do things its own way, which has varied wildly between versions (including that default about keeping the cached files). If you do a 'yum search yum' you'll see a variety of tools intended to help tame the beast in the extras repository. If there is some way to find out what yum-utils and the assortment of plugins actually do, I haven't found it yet.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx