Re: Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

Tim:
>> Related to that, you can ignore or remove things that you're not going
>> to use.  e.g. If you're never going to use OpenOffice.org, you can forgo
>> the updates for it, or even remove the thing entirely.

Les Mikesell:
> The simple minded approach is to just 'yum update' once a week or so
> and take everything it suggests.

Though, the first time you do it, you're presented with a very large
number of updates.  Trying to do that piecemeal can be difficult, thanks
to all the dependencies, and YUM's default configuration not to keep
cached files.

Otherwise, it would be simpler to just keep on downloading stuff, until
you can do the updates.

I read messages from the public lists.