Re: Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:21 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Do the security updates have to be installed immediately after
> install? What happens if,. e.g install Firefox 2.0 over Firefox 1.5
> (the current version). Do I still need to install the security update
> for Firefox? Or should I first install the security update and then
> update Firefox to the latest 2.x version?

Updates apply to specific packages.  If you're going to remove one,
remove it before doing any updates.  Then, when you go to do updates,
they'll be for what you've got installed.

Related to that, you can ignore or remove things that you're not going
to use.  e.g. If you're never going to use OpenOffice.org, you can forgo
the updates for it, or even remove the thing entirely.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.