Re: [Fedora] Re: Remote VNC install

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 17:26 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > They vary based on the PCI bus layout, kernel version and a bunch of
> > other things.
> >
>     As far as the board layout goes, I always make a point to figure out
> which is the first slot, so whether it's at the top or bottom doesn't
> really matter.  However, my assumption always was that the kernel would
> scan the bus starting at the first slot and number devices accordingly.
> I haven't had the same type of switcharoo that you have happened to you
> (maybe that's a good thing) so maybe that's why I assumed it's always
> the same.  From what you're telling me, it sounds like that's not the
> case.  So much for consistency...I thought Winblows was the only one
> with that problem...

Nope.  And here's a real fun one...the Dell 1850/1950 series and the
Dell 2850/2950 scan backwards.  On the 1850/1950, NICs in the PCI bus
are enumerated BEFORE the ones on the motherboard.  On the 2850/2950,
the motherboard-based ones are first.

"Hell, if it was easy, EVERYONE'd be doing it!"  Fun, fun, fun!

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -