Re: [Fedora] Re: Remote VNC install

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 15:58 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > More like a "which NIC is eth1?" problem.  I don't know if there's a way
> > to specify which NIC to use on the kernel line when there's multiple
> > NICs installed.  Perhaps a new parameter, "hwaddr=" or something along
> > that nature.
> >
>     That might be the case, however don't the devices come up in
> sequence in which they're plugged into the motherboard starting at PCI1
> down to however many the board has?  I've always had cards come up that
> way and it's been consistently that way, at least for me.  I can always
> count on eth1 being the second card on the bus.

They vary based on the PCI bus layout, kernel version and a bunch of
other things.  That's why the network startup scripts allow you to
specify the "HWADDR=" to make sure what _you_ want as eth0 stays eth0.
I should think a similar item should be included for network installs.

I've had two different kernels on the same machine swap NICs on me when
I didn't specify the "HWADDR=" in the network configs.  Damned
frustrating, it was!

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -