Re: The Case of the Missing Characters, revisited

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 01:32 -0700, kwhiskers{ wrote:
> What I'd really like is at least the pc105 international keyboard, but
> the keys arranged alphabetically. Having the letters all mixed up has
> taken me 30 years to get to 40 words a minute!

Take a typing class, you'll learn it much quicker than that.  ;-)  You
can get alphabetically arranged keyboards, but you'd probably have to
put up with one decorated in children's colours.

> I think the days and usefulness of the old don't look while you type
> 10-finger typing are passé, since with computers you always have to
> shift your hands from the mouse to the keyboard and back again, and
> you're not copying from a text, but usually writing what's in your
> head, so it doesn't come at any set speed and there is generally a
> great need to back up, retype, revise, etc, etc.

I manage, not too badly, alternating from mouse to keyboard.  The keys
additional to a typewriter throw me, though.  The F keys are too far
away for touch typing, the insert, delete, home, end, page up/down keys
are in different spots on different keyboards (I keep hitting print
screen on some of them).  And I think I'd prefer a detached numberpad.
The main keyboard would be balanced that way, and I could still use a
number pad for all that number crunching that's more convenient than the
number row about quertyuiop.

I read messages from the public lists.