Re: The Case of the Missing Characters, revisited

On February 2, 2007, Tim wrote:
> Take a typing class, you'll learn it much quicker than that.  ;-)  You
> can get alphabetically arranged keyboards, but you'd probably have to
> put up with one decorated in children's colours.

I could handle that! But I'd have to make a character map from scratch, I
think, mapping the keysyms to the codes generated by the keypress, or
something. I did one way back in redhat 5 days, for my laptop, which I bought
in north america, so that I could write in european languages without
headaches. It was a lot of work and I am not sure exactly how i did it
anymore. I think the system has changed a bit since then, anyway.

> I manage, not too badly, alternating from mouse to keyboard.  The keys
> additional to a typewriter throw me, though.  The F keys are too far
> away for touch typing, the insert, delete, home, end, page up/down keys
> are in different spots on different keyboards (I keep hitting print
> screen on some of them).

That used to get me, too. You better watch it, that you don't hit that sysrq
key by mistake ;-) or your system will power down in an instant.

--
kwhiskers{