Re: Blocking Spam

jdow wrote:

Wull, my take on amavisd is that is its own punishment. Configuring it
to something akin to the way I have procmail working is a royal pain
in the <sitapon part.>

I agree it's not for everyone. But for the average sysadmin should be easy enough.

It's not even close to the difficulty of sendmail.cf or a typical procmail config, mostly because it's self-explanatory, full of comments, and the implicit values for most variables are fine in most cases.

Finally, let's not mislead the uninitiated bystanders that amavisd is a procmail replacement. The two are rather different in purpose.

I see way more problems on the SA list with
amavisd, mailscanner, or things like that than I do with procmail. But
then everybody seems to be scared off from procmail. Maybe that's why.

The problem with procmail (and with spamc by the way) is that you're running a new process (sometimes several) for each new message. This is fine for a low-profile server, but it gets overwhelming pretty quick when the traffic goes up. amavisd is a service that runs continuously and it scales pretty well with traffic. Just increase the number of child daemons if need be.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/