Re: Blocking Spam

Jeffrey Ross wrote:

Be forewarned, spamassassin can be a memory pig, I start it with the following command:

/usr/bin/spamd -c -m 20 -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid

Another idea is to run SpamAssassin together with Amavisd-new. This will allow a very simple way to also run ClamAV or any other anti-virus supported by Amavisd-new.

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/amavisd-new/

Essentially, the daemon running in this case is not spamd but amavisd, plus clamd. SpamAssassin then becomes just one of the libraries used by amavisd. Messages are also passed through clamd by amavisd.

I use this setup in conjunction with Postfix and the results are very good. SpamAssassin catches the spam proper, ClamAV catches the infected messages (and some phishing stuff too), I configured Amavis to just flag the spam / infected messages and Cyrus-IMAPd / Sieve is filtering those bad messages automatically to a spam folder and a virus folder. Every once in a while I do a cursory search on those folders and, if there's no false positive, I just nuke all messages. Of course, Amavis could be configured to bounce the bad messages (bad idea!), or simply discard them. The choice is yours.

Works very well, haven't had issues with email in a very long time.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/