Re: Webcam with FC6

On Saturday 09 December 2006 2:12 am, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On 12/8/06, Keith Powell <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Do I uninstall the older files which are causing the conflicts
> > and then run 'yum install' again? I don't want to risk doing
> > anything like that without knowing it's the correct thing to do!
> > It is a bit peculiar, as the new files are the same number as the
> > older ones.
>
> What is the version of the kernel you are currently running (type
> 'uname -a' to find that out).
>
> If it is something newer than 2.6.18-1.2849 then you can probably
> remove it. Alternatively, you could try to install the kmod-gspca
> specifically for your current kernel by using the version in the
> command you used perviously.
>
> kmod-gspca-01.00.04-1.2.6.18_1.2849
> or
> kmod-gspca-01.00.04-1.2.6.18_1.2798
> depending on which kernel you are currently using. Those are the
> only packages that I saw at:
> http://drpixel.tuxfamily.org/fedora/6/i386/

Hello Michael.

Thank you for the reply.

I did the kmod-gspca as you suggested, but there is no difference. The
web cam still isn't found. If it's of any importance, there are no
'video' folder or files in /dev.

I have also tried twice doing new installations on a spare hard drive
and trying to install the web cam again, with, and without the kernel
version. No success. That is why I haven't sent this reply earlier.

I'm completely at a loss what to do next, as I *don't* want to fire XP
up every time I want to use the web cam.

Cheers

Keith