Re: Resizing an LVM volume to make way for XP install?

Once you resize /home, you'll need to shrink the underlying PV using
"pvresize".  You can then take the freed-up space and make it a normal
partition using gparted or something similar.  The next trick...making
sure that that space is not beyond the dread 1024 cylinder mark for your
boot loader.

Took a while to play around with this.... finally decided that I wasn't going to make it work and STILL have the space < 1024. So I rebuilt the machine from scratch.

Now I've got an empty LV partition starting at 277 or something like that. My other partitions are beyond that. My plan is to wipe out the LV partition and put XP in there. (It's 10 GB so that should be enough <s>.)

Note that all of this is dangerous.  You can screw things up seven ways
from Sunday if you're not careful.  Also be aware that the installation
of XP will wipe out your MBR.  Be prepared with a recovery disk for
Linux so you can:

It's a test machine, so if I mess it up, I'll just do it again....

	boot: linux rescue
	# chroot /mnt/sysimage
	# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
	# exit
	# exit

to restore grub to its rightful place.

I understand the concepts although not the specifics. Time to visit my local LUG tomorrow with machine and disks in hand...

Thanks,

Whil