Re: Resizing an LVM volume to make way for XP install?

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 14:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Whil Hentzen wrote:
> > First, let me get this off my chest. I'm having a bad day. Nothing I've
> > tried today has worked - at all - and it's only noon. Lots more can go
> > wrong. And to top that, my hound dog died and my baby left me and I lost
> > my pickup truck by some dad-gum ringer in a poker game.
> >
> > Anyway, back to our story.
> >
> > I've got FC6 running smooth as silk on a TP T30. 60 GB drive. Love it.
> > For reasons best left unsaid until after a beer or seven. I'm going to
> > install XP and make this a dual boot.
> >
> > My machine has the default FC6 partitioning scheme with LVM, except that
> > I split / (55GB) into / (25GB) and /home (30GB) partitions (in the LVM).
> >
> > My plan is to free up space on the /home partition, using 10 GB of home
> > for XP.
> >
> > I've been goofing around with the Administration | LVM applet to try to
> > resize /home but two issues have risen:
> >
> > 1. I can't figure out how to do it (LVM says I need to unmount /home and
> > it can't do that since /home is in use).
> >
> Change to the single user mode. As root, run "telinit 1". It is
> preferable to do this from the CLI. You can then unmount /home.
>
> > 2. I'm a-feered that /home being in a LV means that if I resize it, I'll
> > have free space in a logical partition - and that XP won't/can't be
> > installed in that logical free space.
> >
> > So.... suggestions?
> >
> > Whil Hentzen
> > Milwaukee
> >
> I don't know enough about LVM to help you with #2. If it were just a
> logical partition, I would use gparted, but I don't know how it
> would handle a LV...

Once you resize /home, you'll need to shrink the underlying PV using
"pvresize".  You can then take the freed-up space and make it a normal
partition using gparted or something similar.  The next trick...making
sure that that space is not beyond the dread 1024 cylinder mark for your
boot loader.

Note that all of this is dangerous.  You can screw things up seven ways
from Sunday if you're not careful.  Also be aware that the installation
of XP will wipe out your MBR.  Be prepared with a recovery disk for
Linux so you can:

	boot: linux rescue
	# chroot /mnt/sysimage
	# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
	# exit
	# exit

to restore grub to its rightful place.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -