Re: Resizing an LVM volume to make way for XP install?

Whil Hentzen wrote:
> First, let me get this off my chest. I'm having a bad day. Nothing I've
> tried today has worked - at all - and it's only noon. Lots more can go
> wrong. And to top that, my hound dog died and my baby left me and I lost
> my pickup truck by some dad-gum ringer in a poker game.
>
> Anyway, back to our story.
>
> I've got FC6 running smooth as silk on a TP T30. 60 GB drive. Love it.
> For reasons best left unsaid until after a beer or seven. I'm going to
> install XP and make this a dual boot.
>
> My machine has the default FC6 partitioning scheme with LVM, except that
> I split / (55GB) into / (25GB) and /home (30GB) partitions (in the LVM).
>
> My plan is to free up space on the /home partition, using 10 GB of home
> for XP.
>
> I've been goofing around with the Administration | LVM applet to try to
> resize /home but two issues have risen:
>
> 1. I can't figure out how to do it (LVM says I need to unmount /home and
> it can't do that since /home is in use).

Change to the single user mode. As root, run "telinit 1". It is
preferable to do this from the CLI. You can then unmount /home.

> 2. I'm a-feered that /home being in a LV means that if I resize it, I'll
> have free space in a logical partition - and that XP won't/can't be
> installed in that logical free space.
>
> So.... suggestions?
>
> Whil Hentzen
> Milwaukee

I don't know enough about LVM to help you with #2. If it were just a
logical partition, I would use gparted, but I don't know how it
would handle a LV...

Mikkel