Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

How do,

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 22:35 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I'd reboot with it plugged in and see if I got the console...far easier
> > than a trip to the shop... ;)
> >
> > --
> Although I may have destroyed the monitor, the computer and graphics
> card continue to work perfectly.
>
> How difficult and expensive would it be to diagnose and fix? Would it be
> better just to buy a new monitor? This had to happen just at the time I
> need the monitor most.

Probably depends on how comfortable you are working with smt (surface
mount technology) & having/access to the proper tools. Most newer
electronics use lead free solder & that can be a real PITA :-(

If you have access to newsgroups, there's an electronic repair group &
you could run that past them. Most folk there will recommend purchasing
a new monitor though :-)

> Rick B.

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.