Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 07:06, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>I have a Planar 20" PL2010M LCD monitor. I attached it to an Athlon 64
>system running FC6 and using the nvidia proprietary driver (the latest
>available). I tried (foolishly) the 1920x1080 interlaced output. The
>monitor said it was outside the range. I reset to 1600x1200
>noninterlaced and everything was fine. Later I connected a similar
>computer (running FC5) that was displaying 1920x1080i (same nvidia card
>- 5700LE or such). I noticed my mistake right away and I immediately
>disconnected the monitor. Now, the PL2010M won't display anything. The
>on light switches quickly from green to a constant yellow and displays
>"no input signal" on the screen regardless of whether I'm using the
>analog or digital input. I can no longer bring up the setup menu (e.g.,
>to change from analog to digital) - no menu whatsoever. I called Planar
>and they said it wouldn't damage the display but it seems like too much
>of a coincidence.

No, I suspect (I'm a C.E.T.) where you made the mistake was in
disconnecting it, no doubt while powered up on both ends of the
connection.  Now go find one of your old grammer school teachers and tell
her you've been a bad boy & take the knuckle rapping she will dish
out. :-)

I suspect that in the process of unplugging it, a ground connection was
the first to be opened.  In that case the input electronics in the
monitor, and possibly even the output stages of the video card are pretty
historical.  From your description its plain the monitor needs a trip to
the shop, maybe even back to the factory shop, probably for a fresh copy
of its video board.

I'd test the video card in the computer with another monitor to see if it
survived.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)