Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

Rick Bilonick wrote:
I'd reboot with it plugged in and see if I got the console...far easier
than a trip to the shop... ;)

--

Although I may have destroyed the monitor, the computer and graphics
card continue to work perfectly.

How difficult and expensive would it be to diagnose and fix? Would it be
better just to buy a new monitor? This had to happen just at the time I
need the monitor most.

Rick B.

Diagnosis depends on your experience and knowledge of the electrical components, ability to identify them and test them.  You have have blown a capacitor or you may have fused a whole bunch of things. Whether you want to spend the time on this depends on how valuable your time is, would it be cheaper in the long run to toss it in the bin and buy a new one ? yeah, usually it is.

The last LCD I pulled apart was a fairly one way experience. Surrounding the display was strips of copper for shielding, but it was factory glued on. Once peeled back, it was never quite the same. Also the actual circuit board you're after is usually well buried. As Jim Cornette said, without a circuit diagram and some knowledge of what you're doing, it'll be an educational but relatively pointless experience.