Re: Proposed changes for fedora

On Tue, 27 Nov 2006 22:42:42 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 09:42:49PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> One distribution. One fedora. Keep it simple.
>
>One distribution, 38 CDs?

Ah-HA! So the real reason for the idiotic partitioning into multiple
distributions is size of distribution media! In that case, the
partitioning should be based on size, not on some kind of functional
categories that just confuse people trying to figure out which
one to install (one of my main objections to suse, by the way).
Pretty soon they just throw up their hands and say, "To heck with
it, I'll just go install ubuntu" :-).

What we should have instead of Workstation, Server, Media Edition,
ad infinitum is CD, DVD, and The Universe. With a very clear statement
up front that all distributions have identical content available with
just different amounts of stuff on the ISO and the rest available
from the internet.

And when BluRay and HD-DVD are common, it will all fit on one disk anyway :-).

You could take a survey and have people mail in their /var/log/rpmpkgs
files and determine what to put on the media based on the popularity
of packages installed and when the media runs out of space.