Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:45 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 12:30 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >
> > That's because the kernel isn't what provides mouse support in X.  Its
> > amazing that you can talk at all with your foot so far down your
> > throat all the time.
>
> Here is my post on the subject:
>
> "Do you know that I have no idea what mouse driver my laptop runs ?
> None.  I don't know the version, I don't know what its called, nothing.
> I could look, but I don't have to !  When I install a new kernel, my
> mouse doesn't quit working !"
>
> I didn't say the kernel provides mouse support in X !  I said the mouse
> doesn't quit when I change kernels !  I don't care what provides mouse
> support !  That is the point, some things should be transparent to the
> user !  Get it ?  I don't know a friggin thing about my mouse driver.
> And it works.  It has never quit !  That is the point !  The Nvidia
> hardware drivers should be the same way !
>
> Thanks for once again attempting to cut me down and demonstrate your
> superior Linux knowledge.  You totally missed the point of my post in
> doing so, but hey, at least you got your jabs in !

Where you are going wrong here is you obviously do not understand (or do
not want to accept) the software distribution paradigms in use here.

Fedora will never distribute closed source binaries with their 100% open
source distribution.  As a result you can never have the features you so
vehemently claim you *need* without using 3rd party software.  Ergo, you
have no choice (you do, but refuse to give up your non-supported needs)
but to use the 3rd party software.  You then whine when you have to do
things out of the mainstream track to enable your hardware for your
specialized needs.

Get off the complaint that it is others who put you there.  *Your*
choices and demands are what have forced you into compiling your own
video driver.

Be glad the card maker provided a means for you to get it working with a
simple compile/install.  If you have an unsupported card in that other
OS you have no way to provide yourself a driver for it.