Re: Analog Telephone Adapter usage

On 11/3/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 03:29 +0000, Thufir wrote:

> I would, or might, need admin access to the router/firewall?

If you want to run any server that accepts connections through your
firewall, you need to open ports through it, and possibly forward ports
through.  It depends on the system, some modem/routers don't act as a
firewall, some aren't enabled, some will try to automatically route
connections through (I've seen one that uses NAT, and does that for
you).

That is the whole reason for STUN AFAIK. It uses a STUN server on the
outside of the firewall to negotiate a path back to two peers that are
behind a NAT firewall using the inherent NAT inner workings so that
the peers can talk to each other directly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN
All SIP providers and clients that I have experience with use this
method for accepting calls through a NAT withtou having to administer
the NAT firewall. GTalk (jingle/jabber based) also uses this method.

/Mike