Re: Analog Telephone Adapter usage

Tim:
> > Though, depending on the system, that still mightn't work.  Your router
> > mightn't pass through network connections in the manner required for
> > VOIP to work.

Thufir:
> That'd be a NAT problem?  Or something else?

Yes, and possible firewalling, as well (at the router, as well as the
PC).

> Right, I'm narrowing down potential problems.  I think the biggest,
> for me, might be:
>
> 'What is STUN?
>
> STUN stands for Simple Traversal of UDP (User Datagram Protocol) over NAT.
> It is a protocol which enables your IP phone to detect the presence and
> type of NAT behind which the phone is placed. An IP phone that supports
> STUN can intelligently modify the private IP address and port in its
> SIP/SDP message by using the NAT mapped public IP address and port through
> a series of STUN queries against a STUN server located on the public
> Internet. This will allow SIP signaling and RTP media to successfully
> traverse a NAT without requiring any configuration changes on the NAT.

Or, otherwise, very simply described as a TUNNEL through the barriers in
your network.

Quite a few VOIP providers run their own STUN service, since so many
people are behind NAT that they'd *have* to.  Every one that I've played
with, at least, has.

It's much like using a proxy with your web browser, it's just another
address you configure into the VOIP setup.  There's a service in the
middle connecting you together.  Though, in this case, it's just used to
initiate the call.  After that, you're directly connected to each other.

STUN will get you through NAT, in most cases.  A firewall, as well,
might be a problem.  You'd have to try it and see.

Being behind NAT and/or a firewall does mean you'll need to use a VOIP
provider.  If you had none of them in your way, or complete control over
them, you could run as your own service (the same as how people run
their own web and mail services, for instance).

I read messages from the public lists.