Re: Analog Telephone Adapter usage

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:19:44 +1030, Tim wrote:
[...]
> Thufir:
>> While it may be the best way to do VoIP, it's not an option for me, as I
>> don't have physical access to the router :(
>
> In which case, you'd need two network cards in your PC (one of which
> could be your wireless).  And you'd share out to the second one, where
> you connect the VOIP box.

This is the setup I have ready to go, I'm just holding off on buying the
VoIP hardware until I have a better handle on any potential problems.

> Though, depending on the system, that still mightn't work.  Your router
> mightn't pass through network connections in the manner required for
> VOIP to work.

That'd be a NAT problem?  Or something else?

Right, I'm narrowing down potential problems.  I think the biggest, for
me, might be:

'What is STUN?

STUN stands for Simple Traversal of UDP (User Datagram Protocol) over NAT.
It is a protocol which enables your IP phone to detect the presence and
type of NAT behind which the phone is placed. An IP phone that supports
STUN can intelligently modify the private IP address and port in its
SIP/SDP message by using the NAT mapped public IP address and port through
a series of STUN queries against a STUN server located on the public
Internet. This will allow SIP signaling and RTP media to successfully
traverse a NAT without requiring any configuration changes on the NAT.

Was this answer helpful?  Yes   No   '
<http://www.freeworlddialup.com/help/?p=knowledgebase&c=10&a=47>

I think that my situation may require STUN.  I don't require asterix?
Asterix wouldn't help?  There's some mention of asterix bypassing NAT
issues with another standard (can't find the link at the moment).

Because I'm behind a firewall and am not the sysadmin, I have to be
prepared for port forwarding problems, or other, normally easily fixed
problems.

-Thufir