Re: The plus plus

Andy Green wrote:
> gedit I know, it is not kwrite or kate.  I will look at the other two.

Then Scribes won't be much different. It uses the same gtksourceview
widget for text editing, but simply has some nicer features like
auto-completion of words/variables, bracket-matching, templating
("Snippets"), etc.

> Hehe well I reject this orthodoxy, since I exploit the multiple panes to
> increase my usability despite gnomic gnome people telling me it is a
> 'hinerance' in their opinion.

To each his own, I suppose. I use tabs like mad with Epiphany simply
because I've grown used to it, but every time I try Konqeuror or anything
else that makes use of a tabed interface I always end up configuring it to
open the new documents/workspaces in an entirely new window. *shrug*

> Not the same.  In konqueror, you can grow a sizable pane in the main app
> frame that is a full konsole.  As you move between directories in the
> graphical part, it injects cd commands into the konsole.

I will admit: *that* is *very* cool. I don't know of an equivalent with
GNOME stuff, but could definitely see myself using one should it exist.

> The File Open dialog can't handle it though, and the KDE one handles
> fish:// seamlessly.  You can navigate remote filesystems over ssh as if
> they were local in the normal file open dialog in KDE.

You'd need to add it as a network server (Places --> "Connect to server..."),
then it will appear in the list of mounts on the left pane (under the
"Filesystem" and "Desktop" options etc.)

> My proposition is that KDE hackers know C++ and Gnome hackers know C:
> that other bindings exist perhaps suggests that C is not the be all and
> end all.  Anything that C++ can do can be emulated in C, but C++
> engenders a different and more developed methodology which I see coming
> out in KDE.

I agree here, that C++ is definitely a better language in terms of what it
can do for desktop application programming and such, but there are those
who write things in C++/gtkmm for GNOME who prefer it. My thinking is that
many people simply like C as a language and so continue to use that instead.

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail