Re: Analog Telephone Adapter usage

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 23:45 +0000, Thufir wrote:
> I'm looking at the <http://www.grandstream.com/y-286.htm>, which is an
> Analog Telephone Adapter for VOIP.
>
> The ATA will initially configure its own IP address with DHCP?
>
> 'IP Address:
> dynamically assigned via DHCP (default) or PPPoE (will attempt PPPoE if
> DHCP fails and following is non-blank)'
> <http://www.grandstream.com/user_manuals/HandyTone.pdf>

That device looks like it sits between your phone and a network
connection to the internet.  If you have a modem/router you don't even
need a computer.  It's a stand-alone device, a network device in itself.

If you don't have a modem/router, then you'd need to use a computer to
share the internet connection between itself and the ATA, much the same
way as you share the internet between more than one PC.

> Sounds like a piece of cake.  Once it's configured, how is the ATA made to
> work with <http://www.gizmoproject.com/>?  I would just pick up the phone
> and dial?  There must be some configuration beyond that.

That's a software phone.  You use your computer for VOIP, with whatever
sound devices are plugged into it (mic, speakers, headphones, etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.