Re: Analog Telephone Adapter usage

On 11/2/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is also the achilles heel of SIP. I've now signed up for several of
these providers, but the confirming email containing the connection
details never arrives, and there is no place where one can actually
contact a human to straighten things out, AND their software won't allow
you to repeat the process.  My guess is that verizon is (its a fact they
filter according to their broken definition of spam and you can't opt out
without changing your email address) out these emails "from the
competition" to preserve their stranglehold on their long distance income.
Because of this, I have yet to make a phone call with anything but skype.

If someone knows howto make ekiga work, without having to screw around with
the confirming emails, please educate me.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with your ISP than anything
else. Most registrations for service require some sort of email
verification even if they are free. It is a necessary evil. I would
suggest getting a webmail address if Verizon is pulling shenanigans
like that. Unfortunately, if your provider is blocking registration
emails, you are presented with a catch-22. One method of getting
around that is to use a throw-away email account generator like
http://www.mailinator.com/ to either get a more permanent webmail
address or for the service registration itself.

Ekiga is quite good in that it allows me to simultaneously login to
multiple SIP accounts at once and I have used it fine with Gizmo and
FWD as well as the SIP account that you can get through ekiga.net .
There is some good info on setting up ekiga with ekiga.net or some
other SIP provider in the manual at
http://ekiga.org/documentation/ekiga.pdf

/Mike