Re: thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Tim wrote:
If you want to not even let the project collect anonymous hits you just have to use a local mirror.

And where would *that* get its files from?

This is a pedantic argument. The central mirror list has certain bandwidth requirements to be met before it is included. There are many many mirrors out there which are public but dont meet the bandwidth requirements and hence wont be included or counted as hits in our list. Moreover if you dont use the central mirror list and instead pick one specifically which is not the main mirror, you wont be counted by us.

Lets suppose that you did pick from one of the mirrors included in our list, you rsync and hit the mirror once and you can setup a local mirror that distributes to any number of local systems without hitting the main mirrors at all.

Since I havent seen anyone express concerns over us collecting metrics from anonymous hit logs that would be what we would be doing post FC6 release. Maybe on FC7, we can have a opt in mechanism to collect more stats. Having a better idea on how many users we have would be a good thing and what we have been wanting to do for quite sometime.

Rahul