Re: thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 06:41, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

We probably dont have to coordinate all these before FC6 release but I believe some of the mirrors would be willing to provide access logs to calliberate metrics.

Why don't you add a repository that holds a small optional
file just for tracking purposes?  If someone really doesn't
want to be counted they could remove the repository reference
and since there wouldn't be a lot of traffic you could
use a few servers where you have access to the logs.  Personally
I think it would be nice if this file itself would be updated
with the count of accesses on a monthly basis so anyone
participating in the process has access to the result.

The problem is not the access point but the distributed nature of the mirrors. We currently dont have any idea about how many hits the different mirrors get and adding specific files wont add any specific value at all.

Rahul