Re: thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Les Mikesell wrote:

There are 2 advantages.  First, you can control what machines
act as mirrors and thus not have to arrange anything with
other parties to get access to the logs.
How would a separate repository solve the problem? The repo information would still be distributed and we still need to coordinate with the mirrors to get more information.

It should not take many machines to robustly distribute a single
file. Keep all mirrors on machines you already control.

Red Hat hosting all the mirrors in the same place would mean that its not geographically distributed and it would also mean taking up all the bandwidth costs.

How can I keep my information from being collected in logs on
repositories where I actually need the files?  You may claim
you have a way that will keep you from using them, but how
can you prove that to me?

What exactly is your concern from the project collected anonymous stats from mirrors logs on the server side? I cant see any reason why you would want to avoid that. If you do, use a local mirror.

Rahul