Re: thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

>   same place - they just have to be on
> > machines where there is no question about your access to the logs.
> > And how much bandwidth does it take to distribute one file that
> > changes once a month?
>
> You wanted all the mirrors hosted by the project under the same control.
> Thats not just one file.

What I suggested in the first place was a new/different repository
containing _only_ one file, updated monthly or so with the count
of downloads of itself (packaged in rpm format so yum knows what
to do, of course).  That gets you a count of how many people are
currently running and updating any version with the default update
settings. You seem to be talking about something other than my
suggestion.

> That is about introducing say a first boot feature which gives users the
> ability to opt in and provide more features. Kindly read the archive of
> the FAB list that I pointed out earlier for more details.

If you are going to build some new concept, the most useful metric
would be how often a program from any package is executed.  This
could be be used both locally and for the distribution to weed out
stuff that is not needed and focus development attention on the
things that are getting the most active use.  Even better, collect
the access data at the per-file level locally in a form that can
be used for disk optimization and send/collate summary information
from that as it relates to packages.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx