Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Dotan Cohen [re cable select]:
> No, I set them to master and slave. I'd love to see this documented
> somewhere reliable. Googling found nothing that I would consider
> reliable.

Documentation!  Pah!  ;-)  I just cracked open a cable-select lead, and
measured what's connected to what, to confirm what I've already read.
(Not just now, that was ages ago.)

Quite a few motherboard manuals will describe how to connect
cable-select cables, and use them properly (which end goes where, and
how you must jumper the drives).

I've never yet seen one with the master in the middle, as someone else
eluded to, but it's not impossible.  Though it isn't too likely, simply
because of the way of making them involves shorting one wire, and
opening another, and that's easily done by punching a hole through the
ribbon, but would only work if the master was at the end.  And from an
electronics point of view, it'd be better to use the full length of the
cable, not have an end dangling around.

You'll find some cable-select cables are labelled, others have colour
coded plugs, but it's not a dependable situation.  I used one just
yesterday that had no labels, and all the plugs were the same colour.

I read messages from the public lists.