Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

On 18/06/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 20:01 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> If you have 2 drives, jumpered as master and slaves, the master drive
> is connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable, and the
> slave drive uses the connector at the end of the ribbon.

*IF* you are using cable-select cables, where the position of the drive
selects which is master and slave (and you have the drive jumpered to
work in cable-select mode), the end connector is the master.

If you have manually set your drives as master and slave, then it does
not matter where you have it connected.  Anybody who thinks otherwise is
falling victim to the placebo effect.

No, I set them to master and slave. I'd love to see this documented
somewhere reliable. Googling found nothing that I would consider
reliable.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com