Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

On Saturday 17 June 2006 19:37, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/06/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat June 17 2006 12:40 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Thanks, Dan. My dirves are IDE but I will check the cables
> > > nonetheless. It just lovked up on me again: FF, Konqi, and
> > > Konsole were all open, and I had just began a yum update. It
> > > didn't get too far, so I'm not worried.
> >
> > Dotan: As mentioned previously, check your drive jumpers. If you
> > don't know how, ask - this problem you're describing sounds a
> > lot like mis-jumpered drive scenarios I've encountered in the
> > past. Mis-jumpered drives sometimes _can_ work, but performance
> > _can_ be very erratic -  I''ve encountered many variations on
> > the mis-jumpered drive theme and performance is not always
> > predictable.
>
> Thanks, Claude. I seemed to have missed that suggestion. My jumpers
> are like this:
> hda (160GB WD):
> [40pin IDE]  OOIOO  [POWER]
>                ^that's the 3rd of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
> "mast w/ slave" option
>
> hdb (40GB WD):
> [40pin IDE]  OOOIO  [POWER]
>                 ^that's the 4th of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
> "slave" option.
>
> Does it matter where they plug into on the ribbon? hdb is closer to
> the motherboard on the ribbon, and hda is the end of the ribbon. Does
> this sound right? Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://essentialinux.com
> 2444

Hi Dotan. No. If you only have 1 drive which is jumpered as master, you
connect the connector at the end of the ribbon cable to the drive. If you
have 2 drives, jumpered as master and slaves, the master drive is connected
to the middle connector on the ribbon cable, and the slave drive uses the
connector at the end of the ribbon. I have had problems with cabling.

I have one fixed harddrive, and a harddrive caddy in a 5 1/4 slot on the front
of the machine, and have had to use an extension ribbon cable to connect to
the harddrive caddy from the middle connection on the main ribbon cable. The
drives that use the caddy are all master, as they are the drives with OS's on
them. The fixed drive is just for data, and so is the slave.

Nigel.