Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

On 17/06/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat June 17 2006 12:40 pm, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks, Dan. My dirves are IDE but I will check the cables
> nonetheless. It just lovked up on me again: FF, Konqi, and
> Konsole were all open, and I had just began a yum update. It
> didn't get too far, so I'm not worried.

Dotan: As mentioned previously, check your drive jumpers. If you
don't know how, ask - this problem you're describing sounds a
lot like mis-jumpered drive scenarios I've encountered in the
past. Mis-jumpered drives sometimes _can_ work, but performance
_can_ be very erratic -  I''ve encountered many variations on
the mis-jumpered drive theme and performance is not always
predictable.

Thanks, Claude. I seemed to have missed that suggestion. My jumpers
are like this:
hda (160GB WD):
[40pin IDE]  OOIOO  [POWER]
              ^that's the 3rd of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
"mast w/ slave" option

hdb (40GB WD):
[40pin IDE]  OOOIO  [POWER]
               ^that's the 4th of 5 slots. This is supposed to be the
"slave" option.

Does it matter where they plug into on the ribbon? hdb is closer to
the motherboard on the ribbon, and hda is the end of the ribbon. Does
this sound right? Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://essentialinux.com
2444